A suburb of Corpus Christi, Portland is a city in the State of Texas that can be found on the northern shore of Corpus Christi Bay and Nueces. The original settlers of this city set foot in it during the late 1800s. Since then, Portland has evolved significantly.
Portland, Texas, is family-friendly because of its safe neighborhoods and school areas. The city also doesn’t fall short of outdoor activities, with plenty of fishing and golfing facilities available. With the many neighboring cities Portland has, folks who wish to settle in this part of Texas will never run out of opportunities.
Purchased in 1890 by Kentucky-born legislator John G. Willacy, Portland is a city in San Patricio and Nueces Counties in Texas. While its people come from different ethnic backgrounds, its population is predominantly white and Hispanic.
That said, Portland offers a wide range of places to satisfy the palates of diverse ethnicities.
Thanks to its two bays, Portland offers several water-based activities like fishing, boating, and kite surfing. Here are some facts about it:
- Location: Texas, United States of America
- County: Nueces and San Patricio Counties
- Total Area: 39.22km2
- Zip codes: 78374
- Population: 21,439
- Crime rate: 17.51
- Average Temperature June: 75°F to 92°F
- Average Temperature January: 49°F to 67°F
- Universities: Strand Institute of Beauty & Esthetics
- Best hotels: La Quinta Inn & Suites, Country Inn & Suites, Best Western Plus Portland, Hampton Inn & Suites Portland Corpus Christi, and TownePlace Suites.
- Best Restaurants: Hu Dat Portland, McAlister’s Deli, Pep’s Restaurant & Bar, Taqueria El Tapatio, Texas A1 Steaks & Seafood, and Whataburger.
Known for its two bays—Corpus Christi and Nueces—Portland has fishing parks, baysides, and wetlands that could captivate the hearts of outdoor adventurers. The city is also known for its lovely neighborhoods and public schools.
- Bayside – With your picnic blanket laid down, you can spend the day with your family on the shore of Corpus Christi bay.
- Houses – Portland offers affordable median houses as well as upscale ones. Its average rental cost in recent years is around $1,400.
- Schools – A resident once commented that in Portland, “safety is very good all around, especially in public schools.” Another resident also said that the “school district is caring and provides a fair education.”
People in Portland are generally supportive and friendly. They’re always ready to help neighbors in need. Here’s an overview of the people from Portland, Texas:
- People’s activity: You’d often see families exploring the town on foot or on their bikes. In other words, residents of this city love to stay active.
- Racial Composition: As of the 2022 census, Portland has around 9,761 white people and around 5,933 Hispanic individuals. The rest are African Americans, Asians, and mixed races.
- Gender ratio: The city supposedly has 9,149 males and 8,658 females.
- Educational attainment: About 28% of the people of Portland finished High School, while 18% graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree.
Facing the Nueces and Corpus Christi Bays, Portland is located 6 miles Northeast of Corpus Christi, Texas. Its coordinates are 27°52′59″N and 97°19′14″W.
- Ingleside, TX
- Corpus Christi, TX
- Aransas Pass, TX
- Rockport, TX
- Kingsville, TX
- Beeville, TX
- Alice, TX
The locations above have an average distance of roughly 30 miles from Portland, Texas. Corpus Christi is the nearest with a distance of around 6 miles, while Alice is the farthest with a distance of 55 miles.
With a distance of 13 miles above sea level, Portland, Texas, has 32.35 km2 of land area, while the total area of its waters is 6.87 km2. The city can be accessed via two highways, namely U.S. Highway 181 and Texas Highway 135.
- Single-Family Residential Areas
- Two-Family Residential Areas
- Professional Office Areas
- Retail and General Commercial Areas
- Industrial Areas
Portland has some industrial and commercial centers; however, most of the city is made up of residential districts. The most desired residential area of the city is located in its northeast part, while wallet-friendly houses are located in the southwest region.
To visit the best destinations that Portland, Texas, offers, you can either get there by foot, by car, or you can take public transport. Below is the price fare matrix if you are to take public transportation.
|Standard Vehicle||Large Vehicle|
|Cost per minute||$0.20||$0.30|
|Cost per mile||$1.30||$2.10|
|Distance (measured in miles)||Estimated Fare|
They say that walking is the best way to uncover many things about a city. However, strolling in a city that could get as hot as 92 degrees Fahrenheit requires you to be hydrated at all times.
The city has several convenience stores where you can grab a bottle of water or two to replenish, but traveling on foot is generally not recommended.
To travel around Portland, Texas, using public transport, you can either get a standard cab or avail of the services of transportation providers like Uber and Lyft.
That said, it’s best to have their apps downloaded on your mobile device for easy booking and price quotes.
Like other cities in the United States, Portland, Texas, requires you to drive on the right side of the road. The city council allows you to drive at a maximum speed of 30 miles per hour.
However, there are certain streets in Portland where folks can only drive at a maximum speed of 20 miles per hour. Below are the said streets:
- Crosby and Walker
- Sabine Street between Alazan and Broadway
- Dolphin and Portland Drive
- Pecos Street
- Commons Way North
- Commons Way South
While Portland might not be that big, it offers a wide range of activities both for vacationers and residents. It also accommodates folks of diverse preferences. In other words, you can find adventures and solace in this humble city by:
- Watching birds in their natural environments
- Riding the tide with your windsurfing boards
- Staying cozy in a nice hotel
What you’ve seen are just snippets of the many activities you get to enjoy in Portland. Let’s now have a closer look at the many things the city has prepared for us.
Enjoy the breeze of Corpus Christi Bay as you catch some redfish, flounders, and black drums from Indian Point Fishing Park. You can access this coastal destination through Sunset Lake Park.
Get your golf clubs ready and try to prevail against the 18-hole golf course of Northshore Country Club. They also have a swimming pool, a gym, and a snack bar. The club is located at 801 East Broadway Avenue.
You can either hit the 2-mile trail of Sunset Lake Park or appreciate the vibrant beauty of its many colorful birds. This 333-acre tourist destination also offers adventurers a kayaking and canoeing experience they’ll never forget.
Have fun in the summer by visiting the Portland Aquatic Center. This facility has a recreational pool and a competition pool. It also offers swim lessons and fitness classes.
Be like your skateboard superstars and conquer the 5-foot half bowls and 8-foot vertical ramps of Portland Skate Park. This 13,524 square feet facility is open seven days a week from 8:00 AM to 9:30 PM.
Here’s a roundup of some of the best restaurants in Portland:
- Hu Dat Portland: It serves Chinese and Vietnamese cuisines like beef lo mein and Wonton soups. It’s located at 1522 Wildcat Drive.
- Pep’s Restaurants & Bar: This restaurant at 1807 US Highway 181 serves food to satisfy Mexican palates.
- Oyshi Sushi by Sith: Located at 277 Buddy Ganem Drive, this Japanese restaurant could easily be your favorite sushi destination.
- Whataburger: This sandwich house serves freshly cooked burgers and fries. You can find it at 1010 Wildcat Drive.
- Marble Slab Creamery: If you crave some sweets, head on to 2030 US Highway 181 and munch on a scoop or two of Marble Slab ice cream.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites – Located at 201 Buddy Ganem Drive, this hotel is known for its very friendly and accommodating staff.
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson – This hotel earned praise from customers for its cleanliness. You can find it at 1705 North Highway 181.
- Hampton Inn & Suites – Built for business and leisure travelers, this hotel can be found at 1801 US Highway 181.
- Home2 Suites by Hilton – This family-centric and pet-friendly hotel is located at 139 Buddy Ganem Drive
- Candlewood Suites Corpus Christi – This hotel is just a few minutes away from many local restaurants. It’s located on 2009 US Highway 181