When you see the welcome signage of Gun Barrel City, you’ll notice a rifle. It completely fits their motto, “We Shoot Straight With You.” It captures not only your attention, but it also piques your interest. You’re probably wondering what the place is, and what’s life like there.
It’s no doubt that the town is a pretty tight-knit community. If you’re going to live there, you’ll feel a mixture of a suburban and rural feel. It’s rich in history because it was a municipal corporation before it became an incorporated community. The town’s lake brings out the calmness and relaxed pace of the city.
Gun Barrel City is a town near Dallas and Athens, Texas. In 1969, the people residing in the area decided to create a community after constructing the Cedar Creek Reservoir. The town is only 53 years old, but it has grown significantly. The population multiplied over time, and as of today, it’s still growing.
It wasn’t until 1987 that they decided to create projects that would make their city more beautiful than it already is. The residents of Gun Barrel helped restore Battleship Texas (a museum ship) through fundraising. Until now, Gun Barrel’s residents are still working hand-in-hand to make their city a peaceful, and wonderful place to live in.
- County: Henderson
- Land Area: 17.15 km²
- Zipcode: 75156
- Population: 6,190 (as of 2020)
- Crime rate: 15.35% per 1,000 residents
- Average Temperature June: 89.6°F
- Average Temperature January: 55.4°F
- Best hotels: Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, Gun Barrel Executive Inn
- Best restaurants: Hector’s Mexican Restaurant, Vetoni’s Italian Food, Coffee Love
Gun Barrel is famous because of its amazing lake, Cedar Creek Reservoir. Additionally, they’re known for being a town that offers loads of water activities and recreation. In fact, people visit Gun Barrel just to enjoy nature. That’s how beautiful the town is!
- Cedar Creek Reservoir – This is the fourth largest lake in Texas, and is the chief attraction of Gun Barrel city. It offers different recreational activities, such as fishing, boating, biking, and swimming.
- Gun Barrel City Park – The park is where the community gathers. It’s spacious and is the perfect area for families who want to spend time with nature. Additionally, it has an amphitheater which is best for concerts and performances.
- Tom Finley Park – This is one of the unique attractions of Gun Barrel because it’s located in the middle of Cedar Creek. It’s also a park that offers a pretty unique activity—bird watching.
There are other activities that visitors and residents alike can enjoy! If you’re not fond of lakes and parks, don’t fret because they have more in store. They have annual activities, event centers, and restaurants that will cure your boredom and hunger. The following are what you can do in Gun Barrel:
- Attend community events
- Visit Main Street
- Restaurant hopping
The town celebrates a lot of holidays. They have a specific event for each one. For example, they’ll be celebrating Halloween through the Halloween Haunted Trail. During the Fourth of July, they have the Thunder Over Cedar Creek celebration. They also have lots of shops and event centers on Main Street.
The town gathers either at the Cedar Creek Reservoir or at the Gun Barrel City Park to celebrate holidays. They celebrate the Fourth of July with an exciting concert.
It’s succeeded by Thunder Over Cedar Creek Lake, an acrobatics show. During Christmas, they have a tree-lighting ceremony and a fireworks display after the parade.
Gun Barrel City’s Main Street stores all of the shops and event centers. There’s Hometown Cinema which airs the latest blockbuster movies. Gun Barrel BINGO is situated there too and it has the latest bingo equipment, smoking, and non-smoking rooms, and even a cafe!
Gun Barrel has a variety of restaurants that you can try. If you’re looking for Mexican, Italian, Asian, and classic Texan cuisine, they have it all! You can mostly find restaurants at W Main Street and E Main Street, so they’re easy to find. These restaurants aren’t expensive so they won’t break the bank either.
- Hector’s Mexican Restaurant – It’s one of the most popular restaurants in town. They serve the best Mexican food at a reasonable price.
- Vetoni’s Italian Restaurant – This is another must-try when you go to Gun Barrel. They offer Italian cuisine staples, such as pasta and pizza.
- Huddle House – This restaurant serves the usual American go-to meals including waffles, burgers, and sandwiches.
- China Cafe Restaurant – This is an affordable Chinese restaurant that serves authentic Chinese food. All of their meals don’t cost more than $10.
- Durnell’s Hot Dogs – If you’re on the go, this food truck is the best. They sell shawarma, gyros, and hot dogs.
Gun Barrel City FAQs
Is it good to live in Gun Barrel City?
The plain answer is yes. Lots of elderly people relocate there because it’s a Go Texan Certified Retirement Community. Additionally, the residents are quite friendly and down to earth. It’s an addition to the beauty of Gun Barrel’s environment.
Is Gun Barrel City worth visiting?
Whether you’re going alone or with your family, Gun Barrel City is worth visiting. Especially if you’re a nature lover or a person who enjoys doing water activities, then it’ll definitely be worth your time. Most of the events and recreational activities that they offer are family-friendly, so there’s nothing to worry about.
Is the cost of living in Gun Barrel City low?
According to BestPlaces’ data, Gun Barrel City’s cost of living is lower compared to its neighboring towns. For example, the average cost of a 1-bedroom house in Gun Barrel City is $582, while it costs $632 in Athens. The town’s overall cost of living is 90.3, which is cheaper than the US average.
Christian Linden is a seasoned writer and contributor at Texas View, specializing in topics that resonate with the Texan community. With over a decade of experience in journalism, Christian brings a wealth of knowledge in local politics, culture, and lifestyle. He holds a Bachelor's degree in Communications from the University of Texas. When he's not writing, Christian enjoys spending weekends traveling across Texas with his family, exploring everything from bustling cities to serene landscapes.