McKinney, Texas, is a beautiful traveling opportunity if you want something to refresh your soul or take the family somewhere special. There are plenty of things to see, places to enjoy, and eateries to satisfy, so let’s find out what you can expect!
McKinney, Texas, is growing rapidly and brims with opportunity and excitement for locals and tourists. The kids will love the Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park, and you can relax at the Towne Lake Recreational Area. Transport is accessible, and there are superb restaurants and hotels.
About McKinney Texas
McKinney is the third-largest city after Frisco and Plano. It’s had a fruitful history of hard-working people, frequently putting them in the top three fastest-growing cities in the US. With growth comes opportunity, so let’s look at the facts surrounding McKinney and the best places to stay and eat!
Facts About McKinney
- Location: Texas, United States
- County: Collin County
- Towns: McKinney
- Land Area: 62.9 square miles (162.9 km2)
- Zipcodes: 75069, 75070, 75071, 75072, 75454
- Population: 208 100
- Crime rate: 10.5/100 (violence) / 26.2/100 (property)
- Average Temperature June: Low 68°F (20°C) / High 89.6°F (32°C)
- Average Temperature January: Low 33.8°F (1°C) / High 55.4°F (13°C)
- Universities: West Coast University, Hardon Simmons University, Ashford University, Collin Higher Education Center
- Airports: Addison Aiport and Sherman Municipal Airport (local), Dallas Love Field and Dallas/Fort Worth Airport (Domestic), Dallas/Fort Worth Airport and Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (international)
- Best hotels: Sheraton McKinney Hotel, Home2 Suites by Hilton McKinney, Hampton Inn & Suites McKinney
- Best Restaurants: Harvest Seasonal Kitchen, The Yard, The Stix Icehouse
What’s McKinney Known For?
McKinney is in the top percentage of fast-growing cities in the US, and it is related to Collin McKinney. Money Magazine rated it one of the most convenient locales to raise a family, and Raytheon Technologies is their biggest employer.
- Fast-growing city – As of 2020, McKinney, Texas, is the third fastest-growing city in the US.
- Related to Collin McKinney – McKinney and its surrounding county (Collins County) received its name from Collin McKinney, who signed the Texas Declaration of Independence
- Top-percentage standard of living – Money Magazine ranked McKinney as a top pick for places to live in the US. The people are friendly, expenses are few, education is affordable, and starting a business is profitable.
- Raytheon Technologies Corporation – The top employer for McKinney, Texas, is one of the largest aerospace and defense manufacturers, Raytheon Technologies.
People From McKinney
J. Michael Tatum is a famous Japanese anime voice actor, McKenzie Wofford is a well-known artistic gymnast, and Kenneth E. Hagin was a renowned preacher.
- J. Michael Tatum – He’s a voice actor, scriptwriter, and dubbing expert on Japanese anime and video games. He works for companies like Funimation and OkraTron 5000. He’s famous for voice acting in anime like Attack on Titan.
- McKenzie Wofford – McKenzie is a retired artistic gymnast who competed in four US nationals and joined the 2010 and 2011 national teams. In the 2011 team, she was the alternate at the 2011 Pan American Games.
- Kenneth E. Hagin – Kenneth was a preacher who the Word of Faith movement, teaching that Christians access the power of faith through their words.
Where Is Mckinney
McKinney, Texas, is in Collin County and a suburb of the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex. You can find it approximately 32 miles (51 km) north of Dallas. Statistics and data place it as the 16th most populous city in the US.
McKinney is a magnificent blend of modern and natural, boasting multiple locations for immersing yourself on a camping & hiking trip or visiting an exciting museum. There’s something for everyone, so here’s a list of the best points of interest!
- Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park
- Towne Lake Recreational Area
- Oak Hollow Golf Course
- National Video Game Museum
- Erwin Park
- Harold Bacchus Community Park
- Celebration Park
- Bonnie Wenk Park
Getting About In McKinney
Thanks to Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART), Collin County Transit remains operational. You can expect buses, commuter trains, cars, taxis, motorcycles, planes, and on foot. Let’s look at their price rating and accessibility.
Traveling on foot in McKinney is a free and easy alternative. Still, public transportation is relatively cheap, so you’ll do it primarily for the fresh air rather than saving on costs. Remember that December – February are winter months, and temperatures can fall to 33.8°F (1°C).
Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) operates in McKinney and offers locals and tourists the opportunity to get around by bus or train. It’s an affordable and convenient way to get around the city.
DART trains are either light or commuter rail, ideal for commuters wanting to get around the city. Taxis are another option, although not owned by DART, as with most taxi services, their cost quickly increases when you rely too much
Plenty of airports in and around McKinney can fly you to your desired destination. They’re easy to reach and have affordable pricing.
Driving & Riding
The 2022 statistics show there are roughly 135,400 people who make use of DART from Monday to Friday. It translates to 23 000 cars daily; cars and taxis are reliable, but they may slow during rush hour or special holidays.
Motorcycles can zip through the traffic, but be weary when doing so during cold and wet months because they are a potential hazard.
McKinney permits bicycles on most roads, but there are no bike lanes. Cyclists may not ride on toll roads, interstates, and highways like the US 75.
Things To Do In McKinney
You can test your skills at the Oak Hollow Golf Course, spend the day at the Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park, or take the family to the Towne Lake Recreational Area.
- Oak Hollow Golf Course – This golf course boasts a spectacular par 70 design by Maury Miller that challenges experienced golfers while bringing thrills and excitement to new golfers. The venue is lively with charity events, company golf leagues, and those seeking to participate in annual golf tournaments.
- Urban Air Trampoline and Adventure Park – This adventure park crackles with excitement and possibility. It’s ideal for birthday parties and lets your kids jump, climb and enjoy a day of fun physical activities. There’s no reason adults can’t be part of the fun, either!
- Towne Lake Recreational Area – A breathtaking view of the 22-acre lake, with exciting family-oriented opportunities for biking, hiking, picnicking, paddle boat rentals, playgrounds, and even volleyball sand courts for a great workout!
Places To Eat In McKinney
McKinney has a wide selection of delightful restaurants, such as Harvest Seasonal Kitchen, The Yard, and The Stix Icehouse. Together they offer great options for social gatherings, family bonding time, and getting to know the McKinney locals.
- Harvest Seasonal Kitchen – This restaurant offers American-style cuisine from the farm to the table. Their food selection is impressive, offering you different menus for lunch and dinner – gluten-free or not – and a dessert menu.
The menus include items like Pimento & Cheese, Blackened Stripe Bass, and Lemon Goat Cheese Icebox Pie. There’s also a winelist and infused cocktails that complement the food items superbly!
- The Yard – The Yard is a sports and cocktail bar with traditional American cuisine and great outdoor seating. They have three menus: a menu to eat, one to drink, and one for specials!
The food menu has succulent options like Buffalo Shrimp, consisting of crispy panko shrimp, frank’s redhot, and blue cheese ranch. The drinks menu has options for cold drafts, beverages from the tap, and their signature Woodford Double Oaked cocktail.
- The Stix Icehouse – This social powerhouse is a beer garden and dive bar that sells traditional American cuisine. The live music creates a comforting and enjoyable atmosphere while you enjoy your soup or salad, homecooked meal, steak, burger, or sweet treat.
Afterward, you can work off the extra calories by playing a quick game of waffle ball or disc ball at the provided tables!
Where To Stay In McKinney
The Sheraton McKinney Hotel, Home2 Suites by Hilton McKinney, and Hampton Inn & Suites McKinney are all fantastic hotels if you plan to spend a few nights.
- Sheraton McKinney Hotel – You can opt for a smoking or non-smoking room, and each room comes with air conditioning, room service, a flatscreen TV, and a safe.
Your pet companions are welcome, and you can get refreshments at the bar & lounge. There’s high-speed Wifi for working comfortably in your room and a gym for staying fit and healthy. If you work while traveling, you’ll also appreciate the business center.
- Home2 Suites by Hilton McKinney – The rooms have air conditioning and are pet friendly, with easy access to various restaurants and shops. The kitchen has a full-size fridge, microwave, flatware, and dishes.
You also get amenities like free Wifi, electric car charging stations, and breakfast with coffee and juices. You can order one of their meals straight to your room by choosing one of their partnering restaurants.
- Hampton Inn & Suites McKinney – This place is ideal for leisure or business because it’s only a 30-minute drive from Dallas. It has several surrounding restaurants, stores, and attractions, plus a free shuttle service within a five-mile radius.
The business room comes equipped with A/V technology, and after work, you can access the 24-hour fitness facilities and take a dip in the swimming pool.
The rooms are spacious and fitted with flatscreen TVs, free Wifi, and a desk for working. Every room has air conditioning and pet-friendly facilities. After a peaceful sleep, you can enjoy a complimentary breakfast.
McKinney Texas FAQs
You may still have questions about McKinney, Texas, so let’s cover some of the most frequently asked questions.
Which Are The Best Months For Visiting McKinney, Texas?
McKinney can be pretty hot and humid during summer but not as unbearable during winter. The most comfortable months are March, April, and May, and September, October, and November. These groupings are neither hot nor cold and hit the sweet spot regarding temperature.
Is McKinney, Texas, An Expensive Place To Live?
There are multiple reasons why McKinney earned its title as one of the best cities to live comfortably in the US. Infrastructure like high-speed internet makes it easy to work remote jobs, and the economy continues to strengthen and grow into an economic powerhouse.
The cost of living in McKinney is low compared to other parts of the US, and with a focus on family, this city is an ideal place to raise a family.
- McKinney Texas population: worldpopulationreview.com
- Crime rate statistics: bestplaces.net
- Famous people from McKinney, Texas: Wikipedia.org
Christian Linden is a seasoned writer and contributor at Texas View, specializing in topics that resonate with the Texan community. With over a decade of experience in journalism, Christian brings a wealth of knowledge in local politics, culture, and lifestyle. He holds a Bachelor's degree in Communications from the University of Texas. When he's not writing, Christian enjoys spending weekends traveling across Texas with his family, exploring everything from bustling cities to serene landscapes.